GPS Tracking and Autonomous Flight Termination System
Developed in 1998, the Vehicle Based Independent Tracking System (VBITS) was the first fully integrated GPS Metric Tracking and Autonomous Flight Termination System (AFTS) for launch vehicles. The VBITS is an advanced range safety system that meets the needs of both commercial space and government launch vehicle missions.
The flexibility and scalability of the VBITS is central to its ability to support a variety of DOD and NASA mission and aerospace platform needs. Its modular design enables users to specify a fully COTS configuration, or configure the unit to meet new requirements. Furthermore, as GPS technology advances, the VBITS can be upgraded by changing its modules to provide forward and backward system compatibility.
- A common GPS metric tracking system for multiple aerospace platforms
- Time, space and position information with direct input into range safety systems
- Real-time S-Band data link
- Beyond line-of-sight (BLOS) data tracking
- Near plug-n-play installation
- Flexibility and scalability
- Forward and backward system compatibility
- Reduced life cycle cost
- Reduced range instrumentation operations and maintenance and launch range costs